Thursday 11 August 2011

Emma


Back in 2008, when I had to study ‘Pride & Prejudice’ for GCSE English, I positively loathed Jane Austen. I must have matured, however.

The novel follows the life of Emma Woodhouse, who is witty, endowed and beautiful – but does not want to marry. The first volume encompasses her scheme to match her friend Harriet with the eligible bachelor Mr. Elton; the second with the coming of three new neighbours, Jane Fairfax, Frank Churchill and Augusta Hawkins AKA The New Mrs. Elton; the third predictably charts Emma’s realisation of her own feelings for her childhood friend, Mr. Knightley.

What I love about Jane Austen is that you can guess the outcome of the plot by the blurb, but her novels are still immensely enjoyable. I’m a bit timid in using this phrase, but I believe it’s down to the ‘realism’ of it all.

Austen creates very diverse, believable characters. Many writers can create a good character in description, but do not reflect it consistently in describing their speech and actions. Austen breathes life into characters to make them, in my eyes, more than realistic. I can easily imagine the lives of Emma, of Miss Bates, of Frank Churchill, continuing when I close over the page because she transcribes her ideas for characters into living beings.

However, one problem that I have with Austen is how far to believe in it. She is known for writing novels of manners – social commentary. To that end, should I put faith in her portrayal of strict etiquette, exemplary planning for balls etc.? To what extent does Austen put across a realistic portrayal of 19th century landed gentry? I’ll have to read other authors from the time period to find out.

I love the pacing of Austen novels. Except in instances of utmost importance (which I wouldn’t want to reveal), ‘Emma’ continues at a very stately pace, neither rushing nor stilted, but continually engaging. This is the word that is used to describe Jane Austen, and one that I find very apt. Her novels do not create immense paroxysms in the reader, but they stimulate the mind, thus challenging the preconception that great literature bounds only the very grandest emotions in life. ‘Emma’ focuses on the small details: a wry comment, a letter, body language, eye contact. I never find myself bored because the reader is enchanted by the stretched realism of Austen’s world, and so he believes in the importance of this or that ball, or his or her engagement. I can see, therefore, why people could dislike Jane Austen: she deals in the arcane and trivial lives of the upper class, which was, even in the 18th century far removed from the lives of most – in the 21st century, it is no wonder that in wider society she has numerous critics.

Personally, however, I believe. And so this world of rich characterisation and nuance opened up to me to become one of the most realistic reading experiences I have ever encountered.

No comments: